Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Age doesn't matter

When I was little I thought everything was great...everyone was happy...I had child like faith and my world was somewhat easy. The trials I faced as a young person were my school work and liking boys. 

When I hit 18...my world changed. Since then, my Dad's heart failed, he went through 4 or 5 jobs, my Mom was raising another child, my siblings were all moved out, family members went to be with The Lord, I grieved over relationships and people I had lost, people close to me moved away, and dear friends went to be with The Lord as well. I struggled with depression and almost had an eating disorder, I went into physical therapy for my knee and started testing on my own heart and faith. 

A lot has happened in those 6 years.
I've learned to trust God with my relationships and put away my pride and be the person that those I love need. I've had to grieve and I've had to not grieve because I had to be strong. I've had to stand firm on my convictions even though I was questioned over and over again. I had to learn the beauty of communication. I had to know I'd be okay if I lost everything and everyone.  I've had to make God number 1 above everyone and everything and that's why I'd be okay. 

To those who say that age is wisdom...I'd like to see them as adults go through what I've gone through. I'd like to see them have a faith like my little 8 year old brother when he was faced with his Dad possibly dying. 

We all have a story. We all have faced our own trials. God does not see age...He sees faith. Kings were young in biblical times (I seem to remember one king being 10...nope 8!!!! 2 Chronicles 34:1)! Age obviously is not the point. It's faith and maturity. Wisdom and selflessness. God grows people...God gives wisdom. You can't get wisdom without Him. You can get a whole lot if you ask starting at a young age. 

"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believer in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity" 1 Timothy 4:12

So how old is your faith? Is it mature? Does it have a story to it? Or is it boring and only about the things you want?

"Consider it pure joy brothers when you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to him. But when he asks he must believe and not doubt because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea blown and tossed by the wind." James 1:2-6

You see God longs for us to make it through circumstances and trials because they produce a harvest of wisdom and perseverance. He wants us to be stronger every day. Seeking Him and asking for wisdom are the ways we grow. If we aren't seeking Him we aren't growing. 

Every trial I've faced in my short life so far I made it a point to press as hard as I could into Gods embrace. And with each trial I went deeper and deeper with Him. So much so I am almost completely one with Him. And when I attempt to leave that embrace or not press into Him because I think "I don't need Him" I loose some of my identity and I don't know who I am. 

We weren't created to function without our Creator...we need Him. He Created us to be with Him. There's nothing His Creation could do to change why He created it. He still wants us. No matter our age. We are all looked at the same by Him. Jesus covers all of us. But how many of us are really pressing into Him? How many of us have wisdom because we've asked for it? How many of us have considered it pure joy when we go through trials because we know we have gone deeper with God and we know He is number 1 in our life?

I challenge you to ask for wisdom. And press into God today. You need Him. In trials and in good times. You need Him no matter how well you cover it up. The need it there, the need is real. Stop living as if you can function without your Creator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment